site is designated the Judah P. Benjamin
Confederate Memorial because of its
connection with the dramatic events at the
close of the War Between the States.
Moreover, it is a memorial to a way of life
swept away by war.
1925 the abandoned mansion was in a state of
ruin and slated to be destroyed. The Judah
P. Benjamin Chapter of the UDC purchased the
property and deeded it to the state of
Florida. An alliance was born between the
past and the present creating a friendship
with a common goal.
the plantation is gone, but the Mansion
remains; the only surviving antebellum
structure in South Florida and "the
oldest building on Florida's West
This is also home to
Florida Division United Daughters of the
For more information please visit their
At Gamble Plantation
Patten House was built for Dudley Patten and
his wife Melville Turner around 1895. Dudley
was the youngest son of George and Mary
Patten who bought the Gamble Plantation in
1870. In the beginning the house had four
rooms and in 1904 the dining room and
kitchen were added. In 1912 the final
addition of the porches and upstairs
bedrooms were added.