Sally Tompkins Chapter #2494
A tiny baby was born in 1833 in Poplar Grove, Virginia. Her “well to do” parents named her Sally Tompkins.
At the beginning of the War between the States she was living in Richmond and saw a need for a hospital. She founded and directed the Robertson Hospital. The hospital was named in honor of the home in which it was located. In this clean, well-run hospital, over 1300 Confederate soldiers were cared for between 1861-1865. Many soldiers returned to active duty. She gave to each returning soldier clean clothes (sometimes made by her own hands) a small bag of food and a Bible. She gave her all to the cause – her fortune and dedicated Christian life.
So successful was the Robertson Hospital that the Confederate President Jefferson Davis commissioned her a captain the Army. As a Captain, she was allowed to operate this hospital while other private hospitals had to be closed. We are proud to honor such a caring and inspirational lady by naming our UDC Chapter, which was chartered the 17th day of March 1985, The Captain Sally Tompkins Chapter #2494.
Our chapter is located in New Port Richey
the banks of the beautiful Pithlachascotee River
We meet the first Thursday of each month
August through May. Our meetings are in the homes of
our members or at a local restaurant.
Contact Nellie Robinson
Mrs. Betty Lee Carlton
The Chapter sponsors the
Captain James P. McMullen Chapter #933
of the Children of the Confederacy
The main project of our C of C at this time is
helping our sponsoring chapter locate and clean the
graves/markers of our Pasco County Confederate veterans.
Martha Williams is the Director
TO CHAPTERS PAGE